Monday, March 2, 2015

WHAT MAKES YOUR CHILD LAUGH?

My children are older now but I have many wonderful memories from their childhood.  Those memories often include roaring laughter.  When my children were infants it seems that everything was funny.  Tickling, singing, crumpling paper, shaking rattles, funny faces, bouncing on daddy’s knee were all reasons to giggle.  A baby’s laugh is contagious and when a young child laughs, everyone in the room laughs.   
As my children grew into toddlers the fun and laughter continued.  We played chase games outside, made up funny songs, told stupid jokes.  Anything that was silly and outrageous was a reason to chuckle.  While playing on the teeter totter we used to sing the song:
Teeter totter,
bread and butter,
wash your face in dirty water.
Then we took turns singing again and changing the words to “wash your feet in sticky water” or “wash your hair in muddy water” and on and on.  Over the years my children discovered many different funny things to laugh at and so through them, I have rediscovered some of the joys this world has to offer.

C:\Downloads\luke casey shannon.JPG
I wanted my children to laugh and have fun, so I looked for the things that they found funny.  I played with my children and wasn’t afraid to be silly.  We bonded while playing basketball in the driveway, riding bikes around the block, and running through the sprinkler.  It was easier to discipline my children, when needed, because they knew that I cared about them and was willing to be silly.  Through laughter and fun we developed a strong and lasting relationship.
Now my children are adults and when they come home we make new memories.  We sit around the dinner table and tell stories of when they were young.  Sometimes one of them tells an especially stupid joke or shows us a new game or video that makes us all laugh.  I am so grateful that I spent time with my children when they were young so that they laugh with me now.  

What makes your child laugh?  What are you willing to do to have fun and giggle with your child?    

No comments:

Post a Comment