Sunday, September 13, 2015

Saying Goodbye to My Daughter the First and Last Time

As I was perusing through some posts searching for tips and wisdom to support moms and dads cope with their young children heading off to preschool or kindergarten this piece caught my eye.  As I read through it, I sure got more than I bargained for.  I as a mom  have looked into “ those eyes” multiple times  over the years as my children have embarked on numerous firsts in life such as dance recitals, summer camps, new schools, sports activities, college and even heading down the  wedding aisle... excited and a little scared but moving ahead with that next step.  

The end of this piece really got me as today I am looking into eyes that are now telling me, I am scared about what is to come but now I am the daughter coming eye to eye with my mom.  

Even though your hands shake and tremble I remember mom when you taught me to make a perfect trimmed pie crust, embroidery beautiful pieces and play the piano.  

Those legs that you can hardly make move, once played horse with me in the driveway, pushed me on the swings and walked many fields picking fruits and vegetables so you could teach me how to can and preserve food.

You struggle  physically each day with a body that is frail, needing help from your daughter, a daily reminder that you are not the mom you once were.   

I don't know what will come next,  but I do know  I was loved, you were a  great mom  and I do remember  all the moments, just like I hope my kids will remember our moments and your kids remember yours  too.  

Read the blog post by Jaye Watson, Saying Goodbye to my Daughter the First and Last Time, shed a little tear then go make a moment for you and your child to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment